Railcard Terms & Conditions
Conditions of issue and use of the Network Railcard and reduced priced tickets ('discounted tickets') bought with a Network Railcard
A Network Railcard is a railcard which is issued on behalf of the Train Companies by ATOC Limited. Reference to a ’Train Company’, or the ’Train Companies’ means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Rail Services within the area identified on the Network Railcard area map.
- You must sign the Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the conditions listed below. The Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given, loaned or resold to anyone else. Only the named cardholder can use the Railcard.
- You must be aged 16 years old or over to purchase a Railcard.
- Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.
- You must carry the Network Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, you and, where applicable, each member of your group will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting your journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.
- You will be asked to pay the difference between the price of your discounted ticket and the full price Standard fare (or the Penalty Fare if travelling in the Penalty Fares area) if:
a) you travel beyond the station for which your ticket is issued;
b) you travel to a destination beyond the area shown on the Network Railcard map, without having first obtained the correct ticket for your journey;
c) you travel on a route for which a higher fare applies or at a time when reduced fares do not apply.
- Network Railcard discounts only apply for travel after 10.00hrs Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays) and any time on weekends. See time restrictions page for more details.
- A £13 minimum fare applies to all journeys Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. A £1 minimum fare applies to child fares at all times. Travelcard minimum fares also apply - see minimum fares page for details. Please note, minimum fares are subject to change during the validity of your Railcard.
- The maximum group size is up to four adults (aged 16 years and over) and four children (aged 5 - 15 years).
- Additional accompanying passengers for whom discounted tickets are purchased must travel with the Railcard holder throughout the journey.
- Discounted tickets entitle you to travel only in Standard accommodation on the services of the participating Train Companies
- The Railcard and all tickets issued to the holder are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the conditions listed on this website (and, where appropriate, to the Conditions of Carriage of Transport for London, Red Funnel Ferries and Wightlink). Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Travel are available online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/nrcot.
- The Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. The Train Companies do not undertake to issue refunds on unused/unwanted Railcards, or to extend their validity. In the event of loss or damage an application for the replacement of a Railcard may be made: where the original Railcard was purchased at a rail station this may only be requested at a staffed station ticket office in the Network Railcard area (the completed ’Receipt’ voucher from the original application form must be produced); where the Railcard was purchased online, customers may only request a replacement online.
Only one replacement may be issued in a 12 month period for lost or damaged Railcards and a £10 administration fee is payable. No fee will be charged for the replacement of a stolen Railcard provided you have a crime reference number/documentation issued by the Police. You will be requested to show some form of identification if obtaining a replacement from a station.
- The Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
- The right is reserved to revise these conditions and availability of the tickets detailed on the Network Railcard website. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months’ notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
Fraudulent use of Railcards and Railcard discounted tickets may lead to a criminal prosecution.
Terms and conditions are valid up to and including 20 May 2017.
Train Companies providing Network Railcard discounts:
- Chiltern Railways †
- CrossCountry †
- East Midland Trains
- Gatwick Express
- Great Northern
- Great Western Railway ††
- Greater Anglia †
- Heathrow Connect
- Heathrow Express
- London Midland †
- London Overground
- South West Trains (including Island Line)
- Stansted Express
- TfL Rail
- Virgin Trains
- Virgin Trains East Coast †
† Some restrictions apply on services provided by these train companies.
†† Some restrictions apply on services provided by Great Western Railway. Network Railcard discounts are not available on tickets routed Evesham/Stroud.